Monday, July 2, 2012

New Mysterious Cities Of Gold Trailer!

AHHHHH!!! My childhood, reborn! AHHHHHH!!!

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't go for a similar texture to the first series, and have instead gone for this quasi-CGI look. I don't mind it, and I appreciate that this modern gloss is likely to play better in a variety of markets, but the aged, hand-crafted texture of the first show was truly exceptional.

There's little to go on in the trailer, but it appears that the anime/adult edge has not been excised from the show. That was one of the reasons why I loved this show so much as kid back in the 80's, precisely because so much of it was very adult. It was wondrous to me.

Remember, that was quite new. Anime sensibilities were yet to be an American phenomenon. Robotech was three years away and Akira was five. All the US had hitherto experienced was Gigantor and Speed Racer, neither of which were paragons of serious story telling.

Similarly, I had quite a few examples in film of wondrous craft in unforgettable movies like The Dark Crystal, The Secret of NIMH, and The Last Unicorn. But television remained purely for the kids. And aside from a few pieces of pretty high quality work from Hannah-Barbera, it was purely for kids and really awful. For the five-year-old me, The Mysterious Cities of Gold was an experience.

Oh, and I totally peed myself at the first shot of the golden condor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so it might take me a day or two to approve it.